1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surrey Volunteer tutors needed – English or maths

Discussion in ‘Charities & Charity Associations in Surrey‘ started by James Mason, 25 Sep 2014.

1. James Mason

James Mason Surrey Resident (new)

Change a young person’s life with Action Tutoring
    Without C grades at GCSE in English and maths it’s difficult to progress in life. Action Tutoring is a registered charity that helps students from low-income backgrounds leave school with at least five A* – C grades at GCSE. These students do not perform as well at GCSE as their more affluent peers, and they are less able to access expensive support like private tutoring. Action Tutoring is trying to change that.
    How can I help? What would I be doing?
    As one of our volunteer tutors you would work with one or two pupils for an hour a week across the course of a school term. Tutoring usually takes place after school or on a Saturday morning. Sessions are delivered on school premises at the same time each week. We provide all of our tutors with training and resources, and we will also process a DBS check for you.
    What will I get out of it?
    Volunteering with Action Tutoring is a great way to make a difference to the local community, make use of your academic qualifications and meet new people. It’s also an opportunity to experience a different working environment and develop your skills.
    If you’re interested in teaching as a career, it’s a fantastic chance to get experience of working in a school, and we are happy to provide references on completion of the programme.
    When can I start?
    We run tutoring programmes throughout the academic year. Once you’ve signed-up we will send you a full list of opportunities so that you can select one that works for you.
    The school is near KT9 2JS. You’d have to be available on Mondays from 15.30 – 17.00. Sessions start on the 3rd November, but there’s a training session on the 20th October.
    Please contact me for more information.

Attached Files:

2. janet cheney

janet cheney Guest

Hi
    I am already registered with Action Tutoring and currently am tutoring at St Gabriels College in London on a Wednesday. I live in Cobham so your location looks very close to me and I would be happy to do Monday afternoons there as well.
    Janet Cheney