1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The war of social media giants!!!

Discussion in ‘Geek Corner‘ started by Jenny.seo, 3 May 2012.

1. Jenny.seo

Jenny.seo Surrey Resident (new)

Social media is truly growing by large leaps and it is being seen as one of the most vital components of SEO today. With the fall in Hi street, online marketing is taking center stage and with this the need to systematically allow visibility and accessibility based on search engines guidelines. Social media is popular and the demand for social media platforms as a personal and professional platform is increasing. While most claim there is a war with new players like Pinterest and the growing challenge between Google + and Facebook increases, we like to b believe they each have their own features unique and vital, so it is wise to balance it out and use all these social media platforms effectively.
  2. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

I’m going to throw in a few terms and my two pence ;)

I wouldn’t say social media is a main part SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) as it is a increasingly a larger part of Internet Marketing (helping you drive traffic towards your site)

SEO is aimed at optimising for organic search results for Search Engines, SEM (Search Engine Marketing) includes SEO and paid adverting. Social media can help in some circumstances, but Social Medias main marketing force is the ability to drive traffic towards your site without the use of search engines

Social Media Marketing doesn’t necessarily have to increase your SERP results (Search Engine Result Page) to be effective.

Having said that, social media can help SEO if used effectively. Think of your twitter page getting ranked in the SERPs, or signature links from various social media sites (including forums.. yes they predate the term "social media", but are often considered apart of it) helping you gain positions in the search engine results page

I personally feel that the Googles spam team is becoming more efficient and that less searching is done using search engines, since more searching is done with social media. So the importance of algorithm chasing for SEO is becoming less significant (thank god), but the importance of social media to drive traffic towards your site is becoming more important.

I’m going to throw this out there and say: For certain companies, one type of social media marketing will be more appropriate than another, and in some circumstances driving traffic to your social media page can have more benefits than driving them to your own web site.

Think of a large company such as Mars. inc. If they design a new brand of chocolate "yummy banana chocolate flavoured Twix", gaining the statistic of who’s "liking" their new bar is very important. By marketing their Facebook page they can gain lots of statistic about the age/sex/country/area/background of all the people that "like" the new banana bar ;) and then further market the product aimed at the known target audience.

Now think of another company, a News site that has content every day… every ten minutes. If they want this information broadcast to a wide audience, Facebook wouldn’t be an appropriate outlet (I would block a company that spammed me every second with new updates on my Facebook page). However, tweeting this information wouldn’t be quite as annoying. If it’s relevant to them, people can happily follow someone that tweets every 10 minutes with relevant information, without it flooding their friends interactions.

Google plus, this is yet another target audience (I feel it’s flopping a bit, but it might get better in the future?), and Pinterestis is new networking child on the scene, this one is gaining a lot of interest.

But choosing the right Social Media marketing to concentrate on for a company is very important. I don’t think using all social media marketing equally is wise… but certainly looking at all of your marketing options and weighting the benefits up is certainly worth while
    Jenny.seo likes this.
  3. Jenny.seo

Jenny.seo Surrey Resident (new)

I second you on this… two things to take back from this would be 1) social media cannot be a sole driver for a business online & 2) social media mediums are all great and all but you can prioritize it based on the audience type you want to reach, the extent of engagement you can participate on a periodical basis nd the history of results from using a particular medium… And also yes it does affect SEO…..Thanks Mike 😉