1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guildford Stones and pebbles

Discussion in ‘Arts & Crafts in Surrey‘ started by sandra, 8 Nov 2011.

1. sandra

sandra Surrey Resident (new)

This may be a strange question but here it is anyway….I need stones/pebbles for a crafting project I’m doing. Does anyone know of an area within walking of Guildford that I could find them (e.g. along the river, etc.) ? I’m not familiar enough yet with the area to have any idea.

(I’m assuming picking up pebbles in the countryside and taking them home is not illegal…)
    Surrey Events and Mike224 like this.
  2. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

Hey Sandra, this is a tricky question because I can think of a lot of places where you can find pebbles and stones, but I don’t think you’ll find very pretty ones, mainly the white chalky type!
    Have a look at the link below to the Surrey walks and rides section, it points to a couple of places, like Pewley and some river walks where you can definitely find loads of pebbles and stones!
    http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/forums/surrey-walks-and-bicycle-rides/
  3. sandra

Thank you, they don’t need to be pretty since I’ll be painting them!
  4. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

You should definitely find a LOT of them along the river Wey! Can I be nosy and ask you what you project is? It’s very intriguing!
    Surrey Events, Mike224 and sandra like this.
  5. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Stoke park walk:
    http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/thread…oke-park-walk-starting-behind-the-spectrum.5/

It’s a great walk, and most of it is along the river side. You’ll meet some cows on your travles (and if you go far enough, you might even bump into the Highland cows). There are a few hidden lakes around that area, so there should be plenty of little pebbles.

I can’t think of any stony banks in Guildford, but there are lots of walking tracks

As Pauline suggested, Pewley down might be a good place, but it’s mostly a grassy area, if you haven’t already been up there then just try it, the views of Guildford are amazing
    Surrey Events likes this.
  6. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

Funny, I’ve heard other people saying they saw Highlands coos on this walk before but I’ve been there a few times and never saw any! Am I just very unlucky I wonder…
  7. sandra

Thanks for all the advice – I will try a couple of these places this weekend. How about if I post a picture of my completed project ? Provided I find the stones I need! I’m not sure I want to come across a Heeland Coo on my walk, they are quite large….with horns!
    Surrey Events, Mike224 and Sally.H like this.
  8. sandra

I checked out some Guildford Walk books from the library today – has anyone tried the walk along the river from Dapdune Wharf?
  9. pauline

I’ve been to Dapdune Wharf museum but mainly walked on the opposite side of the river, where Woodbridge meadows are (lots of pebbles ;) and also some cool tree sculptures). I saw John wrote a post about it (thanks John!):
    http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/threads/woodbridge-meadows-walk-cycle.64/
    If you find a nice walk from Dapdune Wharf, please let us know! :)
  10. sandra

Just came back from Dapdune Wharf – the entrance was locked up (even though according to the sign it should’ve been open), so we walked up Woodridge road a bit ’till be came to a footpath that led us to the river. The footpath had barbed wire along the tops of the fence and lots and lots of painted over grafitti, as well as loads of litter behind the barbed wire fencing.
    Once we got to the river we went left towards Guildford Town Centre. No pebbles to be seen. Not a very pretty walk this way – you are basically walking behind businesses. I think we probably should’ve taken a right instead.
    Oh well, will try another walk tomorrow – haven’t given up yet!
  11. sandra

Sunday took a walk in the Pewley Downs and walked up to St. Martha’s Church. There may have been stones but if so, they were buried with leaves but it was such a gorgeous day and such beautiful scenery I didn’t really care :cool:
    Will try the Stoke Park walk next weekend if the weather allows.
    Surrey Events and Sally.H like this.
  12. pauline

Damn I was sure there were pebbles around Woodbridge meadows… Hmm, I’m very puzzled now, I will definitely keep an eye out for pebbles in Guildford! ;) glad you had a chance to check out Pewley down, it’s such a lovely walk…
  13. sandra

I don’t think I ever made it through Woodbridge Meadows – because Dapdune Wharf was shut we started on the pathway at an odd location. I never saw the wood sculptures, etc., so I’m pretty sure I did it wrong :( so you may still be right.
  14. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

The temptation must now be very strong to steal a bucket of pebbles from your neighbours’ driveway!!!
  15. sandra

LOL I checked actually, but they are too small and rough…!
  16. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

Oh dear! ;) well, I saw your earlier post, and the Woodbridge walk is actually located on the other side of the river compared with Dapdune wharf, so you’d need to either cross the river via the overhead train bridge or walk there from the station. But I walked along that path last weekend (as I often do) and I’m sorry to say there was no noticeable amount of pebbles, and only the tiny type… The tree sculptures are worth visiting though!
  17. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

18. David Spencer

David Spencer Surrey Resident

Hi, sorry but I can’t resist, how about B&Q, they sell large pebbles in , 25kg, about a £8 :cool:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10797518&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372012}/categories<{9372018}/categories<{9372086}&fh_eds=ß&isSearch=false
    Surrey Events, sandra and SurE like this.
  19. David Spencer

David Spencer Surrey Resident

It will be okay walking there, but I don’t fancy the walk back :), suggest you buy a wheel barrow whilst your there :)
  20. Alexkazam

Alexkazam Surrey Resident (new)

I don’t want you to stop walking, however, there is another option- have you joined "freecycle" http://groups.freecycle.org/guildfordfreecycle/posts/all
    It’s a yahoo group where you can request or offer things for free to keep them out of landfill and recycle them, if you join, be sure to set your membership to no emails. You can then just check the site whenever you like.