1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Hoodies Be Banned?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JR., 9 Aug 2011.

1. JR.

JR. Surrey Resident

It seems most of these current riots have been done by "hoodies"

It's so easy to cover up and disguise yourself with a hoodie.

So many crimes are opportunistic, although the current lootings are more planed than opportunistic). But if we banned hoodies, wouldn't criminals have less opportunity to so easily cover up when a easy theft/crime presents its self?
  2. pauline

pauline Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Its an interesting point but i feel people ready to commit crimes would probably find a way of hiding their identity if they wished to, with or without hoodies. It seems looking at the news that a lot of the people involved in the recent looting in London did not even bother covering their face, even when they were wearing hoodies, possibly because they felt it was ok to steal, since everyone around them was doing it...
    Besides, hoodies are great when you're caught out in the rain! :)
  3. Peaks

Peaks Surrey Resident (new)

It's so easy to cover up and disguise yourself with a coat. Should they be banned?!

4. DillonForum

DillonForum Surrey Resident (new)

Yep, ban them both coats and hoodies... and balaclavas :)

No, we cant ban hoodies, just *some* of the people that wear them
  5. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

This thread reminds me of an article on the BBC news website I saw today about a college student who went to Lidl during the riots and stole a pack of bottled mineral water (value £3.50) and who has just been sentenced to 6 months in jail. 6 months!!! Why not chop off his hand while we're at it? I don't deny some of the rioters committed serious (and at times organised) crimes, especially when buildings were burnt, people assaulted, etc. But this is just condemning a stupid yet harmless kid to a life with a criminal background (no uni, no job, no benefits, no chance of redemption). Who hasn't done something stupid when they were young? Condemning the youth is not a way of helping the country recover. For this kind of benign shoplifting,I think a heavy fine would be sufficient and far more useful...
  6. Galata

Galata Surrey Resident

I agree with John66
  7. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

Thanks Galata! It's not often that people agree with me ;)
    On the subject of the riots, did you notice that the media hardly mention the subject anymore? Besides a brief mention of the record number of policemen watching over the Notting Hill carnival this weekend, it seems that both journalists and politicians consider the case closed.
    I'm not sure what I think about it - is it a good thing that people move on, or are real social problems at the root of the riots being overlooked to keep up appearances? what do you guys make of it?
  8. JaySanders

JaySanders Surrey Resident (new)

9. JR.

JR. Surrey Resident

Thanks Jay,
    I'm not sure how it has worked out for them but the French seem to take quite a strong stance of keeping religious symbols out of schools and public places...

Only in the Summer ;)

If an item of clothing is just being used to cover up and hide your identity so that you can commit a crime, I can't see the issue with banning it. Often you'll see at post Offices advertise "crash helmets must be taken off before entering", I think we should have road signs for pedestrians "hoodies should be taken off before passing cars and shops" ;)

I just don't like hoodies, and it seems it's the "in thing" to wear if you want to look like a criminal, or want to actually commit a crime ...
  10. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

A little on the extreme side,

it's possibly not the hoods that's the issue, but what they come to represent from poverty and societies anger...

I think dealing with the poverty and reasons that communities might be angry would be more reasonable than banning items of clothing / chopping hoods off
    <hides the scissors from JR.>
  11. Alexkazam

Alexkazam Surrey Forum Moderator Staff Member

Banning "hoodies" is mistaking an item of clothing for a criminal act- what is the percentage of people who wear hoodies or similar items of clothing who commit no crime?!
    What about banning sunglasses...or hats...or business suits?!!
  12. pauline

pauline Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Let's ban speedos...
    Alexkazam likes this.
  13. Alexkazam

I agree, and two part bikinis for some women, too!
  14. IanP

IanP Surrey Resident

I will set out by saying that I am against the banning of hoodies. As has been mentioned on here it is not the clothes on here themselves that are committing the crimes, it is a very small minority of the people who wear them. However, it is interesting that back when a shopping centre in Kent banned hoodies they saw a sharp up turn in the amount of visiters. So it could actually benefit the local community in sheer business terms.

Obviously banning hoodies does nothing to address the real roots of the problems at hand. It temporarily brushes these under the carpet. It would be nice to see a more proactive approach from the government and communities alike.
  15. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

That surprises me, I hadn't realised the ban had been carried out anywhere.

I've shopped at Blue Water Before 2005, as far as I could tell it didn't feel like a crime centre,
    maybe there were kids shop lifting that I hadn't noticed/maybe it had got worse over the years?

The thing is, somewhere like Blue Water is a controlled indoor environment, it's all under one roof. Applying the same "Ban" to a location would be different all together (I'm not sure it would even be legal or enforceable)
  16. Alexkazam

Funnily enough, I got a hoodie from a charity shop- they're very warm!
    If more middle aged men like me wore them, then the credibility for "yoofs" to wear them is out of the window!
    pauline likes this.
  17. AJacks

AJacks Surrey Resident (new)

I've been wearing mine all today, thank goodness I didn't bump into JR. :eek: