1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,
    Please note, this area is for “General Things To Do In Surrey”
    If you have an event (with a date) or you’re looking for events in Surrey,
    try the Surrey Events Section

Eating out in Guildford Japanese food in Guildford?

Discussion in ‘Eating out in Surrey‘ started by Maria, 9 Aug 2011.

1. Maria

Maria Surrey Resident

Could anyone recommend a good Japanese restaurant in Guildford? I have only seen one in castle street called Matahari, has anyone been? Thanks!
  2. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

There’s a tiny sushi bar in North Street just off Swan Lane, you should check it out! Otherwise I can’t think of any other Japanese restaurants in Guildford besides Matahari… There are a few Asiatic shops on Woodbridge Road, I bought some good noodles from one of them, and I’m pretty sure you can find nori sheets and sushi rice, wasabi, pickle ginger, etc there. So you could always have a go at cooking Japanese! :)
  3. john66

john66 Surrey Resident

Chinese Taste on Woodbridge road (just after the bus station when you come from town) sells great udon noodles and a range of basic Japanese ingredient (tempura mix, sushi ingredients, noodles, etc etc). I was in town the other day and saw that the sushi bar you refer to in Swan Lane is closed for refurbishment (not sure when they’ll reopen). There’s also Wagamama at the lower end of the High street! Someone told me not long ago that there’s also a noodle bar in the Boiler Room but I’ve never tried it myself… I’m hungry now :)
  4. J_D

J_D Surrey Resident

I would recommend the Matahari!
    Maria likes this.
  5. Maria

Maria Surrey Resident

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the Matahari and the other places! I will keep you posted if I discover any other places for Japanese food in Guildford :)
  6. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

For info the sushi bar in North Street was closed for refurbishment for a while but just reopened. It’s called KOKORO (meaning Heart in Japanese).
    They sell bento food (lunch pack) such as sushi, sashimi, seaweed and spinach salad, miso soup, vegetable or chicken gyoza, and various hot food to eat in the shop or take away. The sushi are reasonably priced considering the high freshness and quality (between £4 and £6 per pack), the salmon and tuna sashimi are the most expensive pieces (but once again freshness is key) and the rest is cheaper (miso soup is £1.25 for instance, and very tasty). They also have a hot counter of Chinese and Japanese food (noodles dishes, etc.).
    I can already feel a new addiction coming up, I really hope this shop does well! :)