1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,
    Please note, this area is for “General Things To Do In Surrey”
    If you have an event (with a date) or you’re looking for events in Surrey,
    try the Surrey Events Section

Eating out in Guildford Best Pub Food in Guildford

Discussion in ‘Eating out in Surrey‘ started by sandra, 19 Aug 2011.

1. sandra

sandra Surrey Resident (new)

New to Guildford – well won’t actually be moving ’till October! Where’s the best pub to go to for good food?
  2. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

Hey Sandra, there are loads of pubs in Guildford, and i think everyone has their favourite local pubs. So here’s my personal favourite list!
    1) the three pigeons: great fish and chips (and I don’t even like fish and chips that much but theirs is FAB) and great location on the High Street.
    2) the Albany pub: nice traditional Sunday roast (a little pricey though)
    3) the keystone: fabulous savoury pies! Go on a Thursday it’s their special pie day.
    4) the Old Oak is my all time favourite pub in Guildford, it’s a very quiet and tiny traditional "old man" style pub hidden behind the holy trinity church on sydenham road. They do really good, cheap and (very) big burgers and if the weather is good you can use their little terrace with views on the church and the old graveyard. The staff is simply fab but the food can take a while to come to the table, so it’s best to go there for a lazy long lunch :)
    If you find a pub you really like please let us know ;)
  3. sandra

Thanks lots of great advice!
  4. pauline

pauline Surrey Resident (new)

Oops, I meant the Royal Oak, not the old oak, lol…
    You’re very welcome :)
    sandra likes this.
  5. sandra

Anyone here go to the Star Inn in Guildford?
  6. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

I pass it almost everyday (at the bottom of town centre), I honestly haven’t been in there yet (I’m not sure why… )

What’s the food like there?
  7. sandra

I don’t know, that’s why I asked :D! I’m having a visitor over for a week who would like to eat some English food while she’s here. I think a pub is about the most "English" one can get, but I haven’t lived in Guildford long enough to know which ones are best. I thought the Star Inn looked interesting on their website and they have a long history in Guildford. I just may have to add this one to my list of pubs to test out in advance. My list is getting rather long though……
  8. Mike224

Mike224 Surrey Forum Admin Staff Member

Yup, my partners parents are French… So every time they visit, they treat there selve to what most people consider "English Food", although its hard to identify what English food really is, since England is very multicultural (and we use lots of ideas from all over the world)

Every time the parents come over, they indulge their selves with Pub Food / Fish and chips :D It’s quite sweet that this is what they consider "English food" to be (Then again, they probably have more of an idea of identifying what’s "English" and what’t not than I do…. I had no idea savoury things wrapped in pastry is very odd to the rest of Europe :confused:

(They loved the Fish and chips at the Royal Oak, although the Pub is quite small)
    In addtion to the 4 pubs mentioned above, I believe the Wild Garlic advertises it’s self as " A modern restaurant focusing on British cuisine" . They do serve great steaks (I believe all their meat products are local).
  9. sandra

Yes I think it’s harder to find "English" food on a menu than anything else these days! I would consider English to be fish & chips, meat pies, bangers & mash, cottage pies. Desserts, sticky toffee pudding, Eton Mess. Even on pub menus it’s often difficult to find English food as you’ll usually find Italian lasagna & pizza, Indian curries, "Mexican" nachos, etc. I’ve been to the Royal Oak but haven’t tried their food yet, it’s one that’s on my list!
  10. Jerry Horwood

Jerry Horwood Surrey Resident (new)

I live in Thursley just off the A3, 10 minutes South of Guildford. We’re very proud of our village owned pub, The Three Horseshoes, which is currently Surrey’s Pub Restaurant of the year according to the Good Pub Guide. It’s great! http://www.threehorseshoesthursley.com/
    Surrey Events likes this.